A recognition of Bruins helping other Bruins in crisis
Dear UCLA student, staff or faculty member,
The True Bruins R.A.I.S.E. program is the result of a collaboration between the USAC Internal Vice President’s Office and the UCLA Office of the Dean of Students. We honor UCLA undergraduate & graduate students who take initiative to help a fellow Bruin in crisis. We aim to acknowledge and celebrate Bruins who exemplify our True Bruin values of Respect, Accountability, Integrity, Service and Excellence (R.A.I.S.E.)
Many have difficult experiences at some point in their life; in fact someone close to you might pop into your mind right now. Did they receive help from a UCLA student in some way during a crisis? This project was created to celebrate UCLA students who stepped up to help a student in crisis. We hope that their stories will inspire other students to take initiative as well.
The nomination form will open again in the fall quarter 2021. At that time, you will have the chance to nominate a student who has either helped you or helped another student in crisis. Please note, students will be considered for this award if the nomination form describes a specific incident/s of the student helping a student in crisis, as opposed to nominations that describe a student's general responsibilities for helping other students as part of their role in a program, organization or employment.
The person you nominate will have the chance to be selected for the recognition, an honor that includes an award with a $50-dollar value, an invitation to a ceremony hosted by the USAC Internal Vice President’s Office, and also official recognition by the Office of Dean of Students.
Please link to this May 1, 2018 Daily Bruin article for information about the program in its inaugural year https://dailybruin.com/2018/05/01/ucla-award-recognizes-students-who-have-helped-other-students-in-crisis
- Please keep in mind that your nomination form will be read by students from the USAC Internal Vice President’s Office and staff from UCLA Office of Dean of Students.
- Any information relating to sexual assault, stalking, dating/domestic violence or sexual harassment will be reported to UCLA Title IX office per University policy. Please be mindful of the follow-up process if you choose to share information related to those issues.
- If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at: IVP@usac.ucla.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org Or call the Office of the Dean of Students 310.825.3894 .
- If there is an emergency: Please dial 911 for your local police/ ambulance or go to your nearest hospital emergency room.
- If there is a concern regarding a student in emotional crisis, UCLA's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has counselors available to talk by phone 24 hours a day at 310.825.0768 .
- The UCLA Police Department (UCPD) is also available should someone need immediate assistance at dial '911' or 310.825.1491 (24 hours).
- The UCLA Consultation & Response Team provides support and guidance on how to support a student in crisis. To see resources available, please visit the UCLA Consultation & Response Team's website ( http://studentincrisis.ucla.edu/ ) and view the UCLA Red Folder here .
- UCLA students may be nominated by a UCLA faculty or staff member or a UCLA student who is registered and enrolled during the winter quarter.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- UCLA undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
- To receive the award with $50 value, the individual receiving the award must be a currently enrolled UCLA student in the winter quarter.
- An individual may nominate more than one student. Please submit a separate nomination form for each student.
- There is an annual award ceremony in the winter quarter hosted by the USAC Internal Vice President’s Office and the Office of the Dean of Students. Details TBD.
- Applications will typically be accepted in the fall and winter quarters each year.
- Please note, students will be considered for this award if the nomination form describes a specific incident/s of the student helping a student in crisis, as opposed to nominations that describe a student's general responsibilities for helping other students as part of their role in a program, organization or employment.
The nomination form is now closed. Nominations will be accepted during the fall quarter 2021. In order to be eligible for the award, nominees need to be registered and enrolled at UCLA during the winter quarter. If nominators are UCLA students, they also need to be registered and enrolled in the winter quarter.
Or call the Office of the Dean of Students 310.825.3894