Skip to Main Content
UCLA Consultation & Response
Students walking on the Janss Steps

Each UCLA community member, and outside member, offers a valuable perspective when working with students in distress. We share the responsibility of responding when a student’s health or safety is at risk by reporting these concerns to the appropriate offices and referring students to campus resources. If it is not clear whether a student is in distress please do not hesitate to contact us for a consultation.

If there is an emergency or incident that needs an immediate response, please call 911 or contact UCPD at (310) 825-1491. To refer a student of concern please complete our online report form:

Refer a Student

Online submissions will be addressed during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, excluding University holidays. If a submission is posted after hours, the matter will be addressed the following University business day.

Signs of an Emergency

Contact UCPD (310) 825-1491 or 911

  • Threats of harm to self or others
  • Preoccupation with violence or persons who have engaged in violence
  • Preoccupation with weapons, especially combined with access to weapons
  • Mentioning plans for a violent or destructive event
  • Emergency situations

Signs of Distress

  • Experiencing a decline in work or academic performance
  • Missing class, activities, work or personal commitments
  • Demonstrating disruptive or disturbing behavior
  • Showing significant changes in appearance, behavior or weight
  • Making disturbing comments in conversation, email, letters, social media postings or papers
  • Sad, anxious or experiencing dramatic mood shifts
  • Abusing alcohol or drugs
  • Isolating themselves socially
  • Acting paranoid or suspicious
  • Frequently angry or easily frustrated
  • Struggling with health, finances, or family problems
  • Thoughts of harm to self or others


  • When in doubt, reach out!
  • Listen, refer, document, report.
  • Contact the Case Managers if you intuitively feel like the student needs help.
  • Know your limits. Keep in mind what your role is in working with students. Trained professionals are available to help.
  • Tell students you can have a private, but not confidential, conversation. Refer students to CAPS, Student Legal Services, or the Ombuds Office if they wish to have a confidential conversation.
  • Contact the Case Managers if you’d like additional guidance or refer to the Red Folder.

Peer Support Guide

  • If you are a student concerned about another student, please check out our Peer Support Guide.